Saturday, May 17, 2008

Grout - It's not Just for Breakfast Anymore

I used a color called "charcoal" for the grout. The flash of the camera really makes it look lighter than it is. Under normal lighting it blends in well with the rest of the tile.



I'm also very happy with how the pieces I fabricated for the front corners turned out. I used regular flat tile and cut it to size on the tile saw. Then the angle grinder was used to rough the pieces out to about 95% of the final size. A couple of different grits on the sander took it to the final size.

A couple of coats of polyurethane later and the cut pieces blend in perfectly with the regular tiles. They're not perfect, but they don't stand out in any way, which is what I was aiming for.

The backsplash is next.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, good idea on the corner piece. Normally, I'm not a fan of tile countertops but that actually looks great.

Nathan said...

Oh, that looks sick! I can't believe you did that yourself, it looks perfect. If I'd have tried it would be bumpy and uneven with chunks of grout all over. Well done, sir!

Muskego Jeff said...

The corner pieces really worried me, as I wanted them to blend in. So far, so good. The trick is to use a couple of different grits of sandpaper, working towards a find grit to smooth out the grinder marks. As said, the grout lines jump out at you in this picture due to the camera flash so I think it looks a LOT better in person.

Nate, judging by the work you were able to do on your place in a short time you could have done this easily. I hope NY is treating you well, and please don't post pictures on your blog if you start modeling underwear...